Who doesn’t want to succeed in life?
Who doesn’t want to prosper and see a difference in their lives?
Here are 5 ways to have success and to prosper.
First things first though. God is the author of success. There’s no way around it. He is the one who put things together, not us. He is the one who knows what real success is, not what society and culture says, not even what some religions would tell us.
The Prosperity Gospel says, it is God’s will for us to be prosperous financially and materially. It says, if you speak positive prayers and positive words you will have lots of money. This is wishful thinking. Can God give us great wealth? Of course He can! However, His will is greater than wealth and material possessions and His desires are for relationship with Him and others – loving Him and loving others.
The definition of success according to Oxford Languages is, “the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.”
So, if God is the author of success, what is His aim or purpose for our lives? What is His meaning of success?
Well, let’s look at a few places in Scripture where He defines this:
1. Meditate on God’s Word and Obey God’s Word
- Joshua 1:8 ESV, “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.” What was Joshua’s way? He was to lead the people of Israel into the land that God promised them. His way was God’s way. His way was what God was wanting to accomplish through the people of Israel and in the surrounding areas. Joshua’s way was God’s way! God promised that God’s way would be accomplished and be successful if Joshua was strong and courageous as well as if he meditated on the Bible and was careful to do everything written in it. This was God’s plan for Joshua’s success.
2. Delight in God’s Word
- Psalm 1:2-3 ESV, “But his delight in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.” Instead of listening to the wicked and standing in the way of sinners or sitting with scoffers, the prosperous person delights in God’s Word. He finds that his prosperity produces fruit in his life, good things that come from God alone.
3. Acknowledge God
- Proverbs 3:6 ESV, “In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” Trusting God, having faith in Him and not in our own understanding of life and people, leads to straight paths. Who doesn’t want a straight path to follow? Remember, if we’re acknowledging Him, we’re understanding that He’s in charge, His ways are best, His path is right. His paths will become our own. (Jesus said, “I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.”)
4. Confess Your Faults and Disobedience
- Proverbs 28:13 ESV, “Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy.” Hiding our sin from God will not result in God’s prosperity for your life. He wants you to find His mercy, confessing and forsaking – turning away – from our sins and sinful lifestyle. God’s definition of prosperity is life and peace and mercy and forgiveness!
5. Believe Jesus
- John 3:16 ESV, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” The idea of perishing does not correlate with success. In fact, it is quite the opposite. God loved us enough to provide us with a way out of eternal perishing and into eternal life, eternal life that begins now.
- John 14:6 ESV, “Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” God’s definition of success is eternal life through belief in Jesus. Jesus’ own claim is that He is the way, He is the life! Success defined by God is doing things God’s way through Christ Jesus.
One last thought, “Success is not going to come without struggle.” If Jesus is our Way, the way He went was through lots of loss, heartache, and physical pain. But, he was the ultimate definition of success and won in the end!